Friday, June 27, 2008

XI. ON THE ISSUE OF THE SONGKOK AS PART OF THE UNIFORM

XI. ON THE ISSUE OF THE SONGKOK AS PART OF THE UNIFORM

Tuan Speaker,
It is with the greatest of dismay that I receive your ruling on the first day of this sitting on the wearing of the Songkok.

While you have taken great pains to refer to the head wear as a hat, I think it is a songkok, and many have called it as that.

As the saying goes a hat is a hat but a songkok is songkok!

I have taken some trouble to look up some references in the internet but the consensus is that a songkok is “an apparel worn by Malay and Muslim men”, and it is perceived as such by all races including the Chinese.

I meant no disrespect for the Malay culture and Islam and neither is there any intention to. Indeed I belong to and am a very proud member of a party where there are many Malays and Muslims members and leaders. However just as I would respect the right of Malay men to wear the songkok, I would like to be accorded due respect for my choice not to wear it.

I think that I have a constitutional right as a non Malay and a non Muslim not to wear an apparel which is otherwise very deeply associated with being a Malay and a Muslim. I think that I have a right to determine what I should or should wear and no ruling would persuade me to otherwise do something that is against my nature, culture and conscience!



Press Statement dated 20 July 2006


In conjunction with the Swearing-In Ceremony for the recently elected YBs of the Sarawak DUN today, I would like to take this opportunity to declare my and my family’s assets.


As the flag bearer of the Parti KeAdilan Rakyat, which is a party dedicated to bringing about Justice for the People, I consider it my solemn duty to lead the way and set an example for all Sarawakians.


For too long, the Sarawak Government has been tarnished by allegations of corruption and favoritism in the award of massive multi million ringgit contracts and projects to companies owned or controlled by cronies or family members of our leaders.


We have currently in Sarawak serving high ranking leaders whose family members own tens of millions worth of shares in companies that are often given mega government projects without tender.


To restore the people’s confidence in the ability of our Sarawak Government to carry out its solemn duty without fear, favour or corruption, all the leaders, elected representatives and especially ministers and senior government officers must regularly declare their assets, and be required to do so by relevant laws.


I hereby call upon all the elected YBs of the current DUN, starting from the YAB Chief Minister of Sarawak, to declare his and his immediate families’ assets, on or before the start of the 1st Sitting of the 16th DUN Assembly which has been scheduled on 24 July 2006.


If we are not corrupt, and have not profited from our public office, then we should have nothing to hide and a declaration of our assets will dispel all such worries and suspicions.



There is nothing wrong with being rich, for getting rich is the objective of the most commercial and business minded people.


But it is morally wrong to use our public offices to give projects to and enrich our own family members, relatives and cronies. In Malaysian laws, such acts are also serious crimes punishable with heavy jail sentences.


Corruption is a serious blight on our society and I strongly support our PM’s campaign to wipe out corruption in Malaysia. I start now in Sarawak on this auspicious and historic occasion, taking oath as the 1st duly elected KeAdilan YB in Sarawak.

No comments: